Northern California railroad pictures are from past calendars by the Northwestern Pacific Railroad Historical Society. Become a member!
Eel River & Eureka Railroad shops and turntable at South Bay [Fields Landing], looking northward toward Eureka six miles away, just before 1900. Taken over by San Francisco & North Western in 1903.
Ready to leave Sausalito ferry pier very early on April 10, 1938, is special passenger train X23 with tenwheeler 113 on the head end as a helper as far as Santa Rosa. The train was bound for Willits, where excursionists would transfer to the California Western and a later change to Caspar, South Fork & Eastern Railroad. Train made it back to Sausalito after midnight.
NWP's only Heisler geared locomotive came second hand from Horseshoe Lumber Company to work on the steep, winding Sherwood Branch out of Willits. Photo at Tiburon just before number was changed to 225. Too light for the job, she was soon sold.
1939 "Caboose Bounce," shows NWP X113, running extra in
third-rail territory with "crummy" 6015, passing Baltimore Park northbound. No.
113 was taken off the roster in 1947.
NWP interurban 386, arrived from Sausalito, unloads from the front
platform special express shipments at Mill Valley Depot, October 1939. 386 was the last of
12 motors and 7 trailers bought new in 1930. It had only 11 years of service until
abandonment in 1941, after which it was transformed to Pacific Electric as No. 4511.
Afternoon train stops at Novato on a cold January day in 1909. All the train crew and even a few passengers pose for what must have been an official photograph. Engine 20, formerly SF&NP 13, had been built by Rogers Locomotive Works in 1884 and would be in service for another twenty years.
1961 Railcar Lineup, SP 10, Budd RDC car operating as NWP Train 4,
ready to start its tri-weekly run from Willits to Eureka on September 30, 1961. It will
leave at 1:45 and arrive at Eureka at 7:20, taking 5 1/2 hours for the 98-mile run. Barely
visible to the rear are California Western Railroad railcars M80 and M100, ready to depart
for Fort Bragg on the coast.
Bound for Eureka, Train 2 pulled by No 139, charges up the grade toward Tunnel 3 near Greenbrae. The train left Sausalito at 8:20 am, will be at San Rafael at 8:45. It will terminate at Eureka, 267 miles farther, at 7 in the evening.
Sternwheeler car ferry "Lagunitas" carried narrow-gauge cars across the bay from Sausalito to San Francisco, where there were extensive narrow-gauge tracks on the northern waterfront. Built in 1903; retired 1921.
Northern California railroad pictures are from past calendars by the Northwestern Pacific Railroad Historical Society.