Northern California railroad pictures are from past calendars by the Northwestern Pacific Railroad Historical Society. Become a member!
Built to Alco in 1908, the 22-Spot was a favorite on NWP passenger trains until late 1930s. Photo at Tiburon, CA. 1910.
In from a run on the NWP mail line, Pacific Lumber (TPL) 35, 2-8-2, switches at their Scotia mill about 1914. TPL trains operated on NWP tracks as far north as Freshwater into the 1940s, and later to a new site on Yager Creek. (The 35 was sold in the early 60s to an organization in Utah.)
Northwestern Pacific train on Fort Bragg Railroad. Locos 201, 2-6-2t, and 251, Shay on line to NWP mill at Irmulco (Irvine Muir Lumber Company). Taking water, August 5, 1920.
Petaluma yard with a surprise NWP electric train! On 4/6/41 four NWP wooden electric cars were brought from Sausalito by steam loco 109, 4-6-0, for an excursion on Petaluma & Santa Rosa RR. P&SR electric loco 506 is coupling at "rear" to pull the train to all points on P&SR. 109 met train at Santa Rosa later to haul it back home.
Santa Fe ferry at Tiburon. "San Pablo" showing a nice head of steam as it is apparently docking from San Francisco. Fine group waiting at lower right: taxis, pony cart, baggage trucks and carts. Across the way is NWP ferry "Donahue" being dismantled. 1922.
NWP electric passenger motor 383 at High School Station near Mill Valley, July 1937. St. Louis Car Co. 1930. Electric 3rd rail this side of car. Mill Valley Branch electric trains quit on 9/30/40 and the entire NWP interurban system serving San Rafael, San Anselmo and Manor was abandoned 2/28/41.
NWP narrow gauge 144 inbound with Train 37 at San Anselmo. Built by Baldwin in 1887 for South Pacific Coast. Later NWP 94 and scrapped 1935.
NWP afternoon passenger train ready to leave Sausalito with SP loco 1347 shortly before 1911 (no train number indicators). Engine leased from SP during summer rush.
Eel River & Eureka Railroad depot at Fortuna, before time of NWP. Loco 2, 4-4-0 became NWP 1 after 1907, and was scrapped in 1916.
San Francisco & North Pacific scene at Tiburon in 1882, looking southwest toward San Francisco. 4-4-0 locomotive with passenger train about to move forward toward the passenger dock, past a string of 4-wheel dump cars. To the far left is another unidentified locomotive.
San Francisco & North Pacific #3, "W. J. Ralston", built by Booth 1870. Possibly at end of Sonoma Valley Branch, which had been broadened to standard gauge in 1890.
A real beauty and a classic photo! NWP 138, Class T-49 4-6-0, built by Alco in 1914. 1915 shot shows her waiting for the ferry at Sausalito.
San Francisco & North Pacific first train over the new Petaluma Creek Bridge, 1902 near Petaluma. Loco 16, was formerly #4 on SF&NW.
Sausalito ferry landing ca. 1902.
Heading south through a light mist,
California Western "Skunk" 300 meets Eureka Southern 31 arriving with last trip of the season for "North Coast Daylight". October 28, 1989. - Ruth Rockefeller photo
Northern California railroad pictures are from past calendars by the Northwestern Pacific Railroad Historical Society.